Mike's Grothoth Campaign
(As reported by the roaming reporter, EarTell)
Note from the Editor: Wow! The second report and our
reporter is shaping up! I like this report. It's quite flattering
to have another journalist mimic my style. Read on!
Paladin's Pusillanimous Party!!!
- Last time, we told you of the fight between V'tar and
Associates on one side versus the fire-resistant trolls. Well, we
neglected to mention the "strategic retreat" that resulted in the
party being separated for a night! These valiant campers were so
spooked by the fiery "trolls that wouldn't die" that they engaged
in a craven "every man (or paladin) for himself" run even deeper
into the swamp, thus leaving the bold paladin and her stumpy, er I
mean, sturdy sidekick to cover their retreat!
- My sources tell me that the party was even more shaken by the
arrival of another armor-clad seige tower dressed in plate,
mounted on a warhorse, who (upon seeing the craven band cowering
behind trees) promptly became physically ill.
- Fortunately for our "heroes", the new arrival was sent out by
the Waterdeep City Watch and the Temple of Tyr to help poor V'tar.
If he'd been an opponent, the party would have lost more than
- With the camp now safely guarded by the valiant new arrival,
the party waited until the "rear guard" arrived and headed back
out of the swamp. It was just too tough for their tender
Now Children, Don't Play with Bugs!
- In their haste to find a "safe" path out of the swamp, the
party first managed to miss the patently obvious signs left by
their scouts. After rejoining the party, the scouts pointed out
there were numerous large insects (giant ants?) in the area--so
everyone should have been alert!
- In spite of this, the party were surprised first by a group of
shepherds (who were apparently just minding their own business
when the ranger's wolf attacked and scattered them) and then by a
more organized group of defenders (undoubtedly called by the
terrified shepherds after the unprovoked attack).
- The party defeated both groups and quickly decided to take to
their heels again when a larger group of angry citizens came to
protest the unprovoked attacks.
Escaping Ants by going... Underground!?!?
- Not surprisingly, the party (who may be considered terrorists,
at least by the large insects) was chased to a nearby hill where
they sought refuge in a cave, there being no other avenue of
escape from the hundreds of angry ants. Strangely, the ants
surrounded, but did not enter, the cave.
- As the party proceeded deeper into the ground, looking for a
way out, they came upon an obviously horrible sight: hundreds of
dead and decaying bodies packed into a room like fish in a
This Adventure Stinks!! Or Who Needs Zombies,
- No, I don't mean the party's lack of hygiene or critical
thinking. I mean, they were trying to get away from city life for
awhile and look at where they ended up! What does this room full
of squirming dead bodies represent?
- Not surprisingly, the Paladin was unable to drive the dead
bodies away. Perhaps a lack of faith? Perhaps too many undead?
Perhaps because of the party's actions against the ants? Perhaps
because of some evil magic in that place?
- Moving past the noisome mass of dead (and undead) bodies,
skeletons, and ichor, the bold paladin suggested Xenos lead the
way. In his inimitable style, he froze as he beheld two glowing
red eyes and heard a terrifying voice call out "Who goes there?"
Thinking swiftly, he told the truth, he was "inside looking for a
way to escape the ants."
- "What is the password?" the unearthly voice intoned. Making
up a name, Xenos was informed that he had better have "brought
lunch" and was invited further inside. Motioning for the others
to follow, he slipped into a dark, silent room and moved to the
- The details of the fight that ensued are just too gruesome to
print. Suffice it to say that the horrible creatures undoubtedly
responsible for the carnage in the outer chamber were dispatched
by V'tar and Associates. And the good people of the surrounding
areas need not fear the giant snakes with glowing eyes and
unearthly voices any more.
- Now if only they had nothing to fear from V'tar and
- Well, that's all for this week's news. Ta ta!
Back to the Grothoth page