Amber Campaign Item Creation Rules
- Magical scrolls require three things for their creation:
quill, paper, and ink. Quills are usually handpicked by the
mage/cleric (+5% if so, -5% if not.) Usually, the quill of a
cockatrice is used. If a quill is specifically picked for a
single use that is appropriate to a spell (like using a pegasus'
feather for a flying spell), then no penalties apply. Otherwise,
up to a -20% penalty can apply.
- Paper, parchment, or papyrus can be used to write the magical
scroll. Paper is 5 gp per page, and there is one page per spell
level. Paper gives a +5% bonus. Parchment is 1 gp per page with
a +0% bonus. Papyrus is 5 sp per page and yields a -%5
- The key to a successful creation of a magical scroll is the
ink. Normal, high quality ink (50 gp for 3d8 spell levels) must
be combined with something magical to make it viable. The magical
liquid is usually the blood, or some ground up body part, of a
magical creature that is specific to the type of spell. Have the
players come up with some items and assign a bonus or penalty to
it. Use a range of -20% to +20% as a starter.
- The formula for a scroll creation is: 80% base - 1% / spell
level + 1% / caster level + quill bonus (-20% to +5%) + paper
bonus (-5% to +5%) + ink bonus (-20% to +20%). Failure in this
roll means that bad things may happen.
- A quiet place with no disturbances is needed. It takes one
day for every spell level written. The success or failure is not
known until the final day.
- Potions are somewhat easier to create. The wizard needs a
laboratory that costs a minimum of 2000 gp with a monthly
maintenance fee of 10%. Priests need a holy sanctuary with
incense and candles and other items costing the same amount.
- The potion ingredients will cost from 200 gp to 1000 gp to
make. For common potions, the ingredients can be purchased.
However, for the more powerful potions, rare parts are needed
similar to the ink of a scroll. The ingredients should be
appropriate to the potion's use.
- The formula is: 70% - 1% / 100gp in ingredients needed + 1% /
every two levels of creator. Failure results in a nasty
If you want to drop me a line, email
or go back to the Amber page
(This page was last updated on Dec 7,